Yay! It's note time :)
So this morning I decided to squeeze out all my creative
juices and make a delicious noteworthy smoothie.
And the topic I decided to blab on about is how people
(adults/parents in particular) don't give music enough credit for our (my
generation in particular's) upbringing.
And today I'd like to share what I've learned purely
through music alone... things that actually matter, things that have helped me
deal with situations that no Life Orientation lesson could ever have prepped me
for. And as silly as it may come across as to some, to others... it might just
make a bit of sense.
The Beach Boys taught me that boys used to be gentlemen,
& that they used to be quite happy with just holding your hand or simply
just getting the chance to serenade you. They told me not to worry (baby), and
that everything was going to be alright. And to this day - when in doubt - I
think back and remember that important piece of advice. Because every time I've
been in a sticky situation... I remember that song, and occasionally sing it to
myself.
Britney Spears taught me that in life, I'm going to think
I'm in love... and change my mind later... and I have. Plenty of times. Thank
goodness she let me know and feel I wasn't the only one going through the
motions. Ooops.
Avril Lavigne taught me the word "Complicated"
- up until that point I had no idea there was such a word. Granted I was only
9-ish at the time... but still. Thanks to her, I now have a single word to
explain things, instead of having to tell people my life story.
System of a Down (particularly Serj Tankian) taught me
about how music can be about more than boys and Milkshakes (what?). Because of
this band, I started reading about politics and war, and it taught me that I
was allowed to have an opinion and voice it as much as I wanted to. I've always
been strongly opposed to any sort of conflict, and through their music, I felt
like I sang along for a cause. And it felt right.
"4000 hungry children leave us per hour,
From starvation,
While billions are spent on bombs,
Creating death showers. " -
Boom - System Of A Down
Tell me that isn't educational...
Evanescence taught me to mourn. Their song "My
Immortal" and "Hello"
brings a tear to the eye almost every time, just because it's so gosh darn sad.
And it's ok to be sad sometimes... in fact it's good to be sad sometimes.
Because it makes the happier times feel even more happy. Plus who doesn't feel
a million times better after a good cry? Let's just be honest here...
Seether taught me "Fuck it". I think that pretty
much speaks for itself. Lesson learned. Boom.
The Police taught me that Roxanne was a slut. And that we
don't need to be like her... or wear red dresses... or turn on red lights...
and shit. Something like that.
Queen taught me to never be afraid of being myself. And
to be as absolutely fabulous as possible. Because in the end... Nothing really
matters.
Adam Ant taught me to experiment with fashion... Because
he was a guy - that looked absolutely amazing in make-up and clashing colours -
and it somehow worked. Also everyone needs those photo's to show their kids one
day... And let me just tell you, I have an abundance of them... sigh... them
goth days were beautiful. He also taught me that you only live once, and that
being a goodie two shoes is sometimes a bad thing... and that I should Drink.
Good advice if you ask me. In Moderation of course (I do not condone the abuse
of alcohol... most days.)
Pink taught me that drugs can only get you so far... and
that they're bad. Mmmkay. (Same goes for Kurt Cobain, Marilyn Monroe and Elvis)
I also learned that life can sometimes kick you in the
ass... but if you keep your head up high and keep moving forward, you can end
up a superstar swinging on ropes at sold out stadium shows.
Dory from finding Nemo (she sang it, so technically it
counts) taught me to Just keep swimming. BEST. ADVICE. EVER. I have never
forgotten this.
The spice girls taught me about friendship. And that if
you see each other too often you might just end up hating one another.. but
eventually you'll be friends again. Repeat Cycle.
Metallica taught me to control my pride - "King
Nothing" used to be my anthem as a kid, and I believed every word they
said.
Macklemore taught me about the wonders of a thrift store
- they really are awesome. You should check it out sometime.
Linkin Park taught me that you can't please everyone, and
that people will always expect great deals from you. A lot of the time
(especially between siblings) people expect you to be just like another family
member who had previously succeeded, and it is important to know that you are
your own person, and that you should be yourself, and ignore what others say.
Paramore taught me that your heart will be broken by
someone someday - it's inevitable - but you will find happiness again, and
you'll always find exceptions from all the duds out there. They also taught me
that people are stupid and ignorant. Ignore them.
Lonehill Estate taught me that I look good dancing like a looser. Which is great, because I can't dance... So it's good to know I can do it regardless of how silly I look to others :)
Alanis Morrisette taught me to throw a middle finger to the world, because bad things will always happen at the worst times, people will always let you down and life will always throw you curve balls... but you have to keep pressing on and give people high fives :)
Muse taught me to feel good.
My Chemical Romance taught me that teenagers are scary - and they are... I was there once... and I bet I was absolutely awful. The good news is they grow up... and most times turn out to be pretty rad people :)
There are SO many other artists I could mention... But at the end of the day, there is only so much an individual can read through without flicking through the rest of their updates on facebook. But I do hope I've opened your mind to a whole neeeeeew woooorld of education you never knew you'd received.
If there are other artists that have taught you something, please feel free to share your experience and story with me :) I'd absolutely Love to hear your opinion...
Have a rad-tastic Wednessday.
Much Love
R
No comments:
Post a Comment